Dear Young Black Professional,
Kudos to you for taking the necessary steps to having a great work week. You’re thinking about your future-self, and why shouldn’t you? That is one thing I believe more of us need to commit to when we finally decide we are putting our foot down and in the right direction towards reaching our highest potential.
People don’t decide their futures, they decide their habits and their habits decide their future.
Stop! Read that again.
You are the only one limiting yourself from greatness. So, I just wanted to say I feel honored that you are utilizing me as well as the amazing community of beautiful people YBPOC has brought together to rejuvenate the black experience in Orange County.
Again, thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving this blog a read. I hope you love each post and find them to be a useful resource for betterment as much as we do. If you ever have any questions or suggestions on topics you want covered, please feel free to reach out to our collective of millennials. We will do our very best to take care of you and get your questions answered!
Your Friendly Neighborhood Home Girl,
Jenevieve “J” Hutchison
Email : FollowWildThing@gmail.com
Twitter : @Real_Wild_Thing
“The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
It’s 2019 fam. You owe it to yourself to be the very best version of yourself. Here’s the harsh reality about the world we live in: Jobs these days seem to want you to neglect your kids and families, forget your health, stay energized without getting tired, and be on time. So my question for you is, “What does the first hour of your day look like?” Do you have a powerful morning routine to set your day up for success, or does your morning routine look more like a fire drill?
- You scramble to find work clothes
- Skip breakfast or gobble down fruits quickly
- Anxiously rush out the door hoping you will arrive to work on time
Maybe it’s about time to evaluate your schedule to make sure that the start of your day is more calm and goes smoothly? The morning is the time and place before all responsibilities of the day take over. Before email, work meetings, and social obligations, the morning is the space before anything “ruined” your day. Before you dive into your crazy work week, allow yourself to take a moment and prepare yourself for what you’re about to get into. After all, if you could see what’s coming, you wouldn’t stress about what’s happening. When you become aware, you gain a slight edge over any situation that may come your way and have more of a chance for coming out on top. I bet you’re wondering where do I even begin?
The important thing you want to do is develop a healthy routine to get you on the right track. How can we do this, you ask? By utilizing mindfulness! Are you mindful? If you have no idea what I’m talking about, you’re in luck. Mindfulness can be cultivated into a formal practice like meditation, and you can even begin today, right this very moment if you’d like. When you’re mindful, you achieve the ability to pay attention to the present moment, with curiosity and without judgement. The benefits of mindfulness include:
– Increased empathy and compassion
– Improved immune functioning
– Improved sleep
– Greater focus and concentration
– Reduced stress and anxiety
So what are you waiting for? Start now! By being mindful, you are making the choice to set yourself up for success. I recently started incorporating this into my daily routine and what really helped me adapt these mindful techniques is something called The Five Minute Journal. The best part is, you don’t even have to go out and buy this thing. All you have to do is keep a journal by your bedside and stay committed to the process. By jotting down my thoughts and thinking positively with this simple structured format, I found it much easier to start and end each day with gratitude, which in turn made me feel like I could take on the entire world!
When you wake up in the morning, you are fresh and have the precious opportunity in the first few minutes to set the tone for the rest of the day. So, make it count! With this short morning routine, your life will quickly change. It’s really quite simple:
Wake up – Write down in your journal 3 things you are grateful for. Ask yourself, “What would make today great?” Recite affirmations for a little morning motivation. Drink a glass of water and make your bed. Try out these affirmations: I am a successful professional in my work setting. My business is growing everyday. My income increases daily. I am so grateful that I get to work when I want, where I want, and with whom I want. I am in the presence of great influential men and women in my workplace.
- Get in the zone – Quiet your mind and center yourself with a 10-minute meditation. If you’re new to this practice, try using an app like “Headspace” to keep you focused.
- Get moving – If you can do some yoga poses or stretching, this will really help you to get the blood flowing. Check out the “7 Minute Workout” app for simple daily workout routines. It’s only 7 minutes, so you have no excuse. Imagine 7 minutes in heaven. The lungs, digestive system, as well as muscles and joints will all benefit from practicing Sun Salutations. (image source: https://www.destressmonday.org/sun-salutation/)
- Put the right food in your body – Your breakfast should be between 250-300 calories and include fruits, veggies and protein. If time is of the essence, try preparing overnight oats the night before, meal prepping, and even protein shakes or smoothies could save you time when you’re on the go. I always try to keep some healthy snacks in my bag if I ever get any midday cravings. Be sure to enjoy low-calorie snacks throughout the day between meals and drink lots of water to stay healthy, hydrated, and glowed up. Think about what supplements, multivitamins and probiotics you can incorporate into your diet as well to ensure your body is getting everything it needs to keep you going.
- Get ready – Shower, wash your face, brush your teeth (preferably fluoride-free and cruelty-free natural products without all those harmful chemicals), and don’t forget to floss.
- Get inspired – While grooming (hair & makeup), I like to listen to music, audio books, or podcasts depending on my mood. This boosts my morale way more than watching the news. The goal is to think positively before you get to work. Try to always put moisturizer and SPF on your face 20 minutes prior to heading out of the house.
- Get perspective – Think about your intentions for the day. These should be clearly set the night before when you’re planning and executing your evening routine. Write things down or set alarms on your phone if that works for you.
- Do something to move you forward – Stay motivated by visualizing accomplishing your goals but also reward yourself once you actually follow through with them. When you take things one day at a time, believe in yourself and surround yourself with positivity, there is no way you can fail.
Lastly, do not forget to love yourself. Seriously, self-love and confidence are some of the most important skills you can acquire in your life! Not only does it make you more attractive both inside and out, but it is simply good for your health and well being. Be self-confident as often as possible, and don’t be so hard on yourself while you’re at it. You are not your job. You are a beautiful human being, so embrace yourself. Be ready for a new chapter to start for you once you are ready to take the first step. Remember, life is an adventure to explore whilst you have fun. It’s time to enjoy your life, it’s time for change. Go for it! Cheers to a successful week.
Full blog post found here: YBPOC.com